General Store Site 12294 Harris Road Pitt Meadows, B.C.Click Here for Directions
The garden and its produce is a very important aspect of our year-round family programming. It is also a beautiful addition to the landscape of Harris Road.
Since 1908, a garden to some extent has existed at the south side of the General Store. There is no documentation for the types of plants in the early garden. However, there are a few old trees and flowering shrubs that have survived today, such as the Yellow Transparent Apple and a large Quince. In the winter of 2009, the Pitt Meadows Garden Club stepped up to redevelop the site with heritage style plantings that would transform the garden to be more historically accurate. With ongoing maintenance by the museum staff, volunteers, and a gardens crew from the District of Maple Ridge, the museum grounds now host a beautiful display of lilac, foxglove, lilies, hydrangeas, perennial geraniums and many other plants.
On the north side of the building, visitors will find the children's perennial fruit garden. This compact bed explodes with seasonal favorites such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and rhubarb. Nearby is our herb and tea garden. This delicious little garden brings traditional flavour with sage, lemon balm, mints, oregano, fennel and one very spiky gooseberry tree. The garden is cared for and planted by local children, museum staff and volunteers.
The Museum is always looking for green thumbed volunteers and donations of historical plants and seeds. For more information, please contact the Museum at firstname.lastname@example.org. To watch our garden grow, please check out our facebook album called Garden Watch.